Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Magic Cookie Bars

As long as I can remember Nathan always would ask me if I would make him Magic Cookie Bars. I had never heard of them. He came across his Mom's recipe for them. I decided to make them for him last month. Boy was I surprised at how delicious they are!!

Cast of characters: Butter, Graham Cracker Crumbs, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels, Chopped Nuts and Coconut. One important ingredient missing in this picture is Sweetened Condensed Milk.

Melt butter in baking dish in the oven.

Mix graham cracker crumbs in the butter and spread out.

Pour sweetened condensed milk all over the top.

Sprinkle as many chocolate chips as you want to. I added more than the recipe called for. You can never have too much chocolate.

Cover the chocolate chips with coconut.

Sprinkle with chopped nuts.

Magic Cookie Bars baked, cut, and ready to eat. Mmm so good!

Magic Cookie Bars
Makes 24 Bars (depending on how big you cut them)

1/2 cup margarine or butter
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 14 oz can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 6 oz. pkg. semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 13 1/2 oz can flaked coconut (1 1/3 cups)
1 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In 13x9 baking dish melt margarine in oven. Sprinkle crumbs over margarine, pour eagle brand milk evenly over crumbs. Top evenly with remaining ingredients; press down gently. Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool thoroughly before cutting. Store loosely covered, at room temperature.

These are even better the next day. They remind me of the candy Mounds. I love those things. I'm going to make some of these soon. They don't last long in our house.

5 comments:

  1. Those look AMAZING. I'm drooling all over the keyboard right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that these turned out so well! I've heard a lot about these candy bars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness those look delicious. I'm going to have to make some now. Humm, the only ingredient I'm missing is the sweetened condensed milk. Now I'm seriously thinking of getting dressed and running to the grocery store for a can......

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, just thought I'd let you know there is an award waiting on you at my blog!

    ReplyDelete