Friday night I cooked supper. I made my first Vegetarian Lasagna and Tater Eggplant Slices. I decided to document the making of the lasagna.
In the words of the Pioneer Woman, here's the cast of characters.
Spaghetti sauce and carrots.
Ricotta is so funny looking straight out of the container.
In goes the spinach.
Spinach, ricotta, and egg mixture.
The layering process.
Mmmm cheesy lasagna.
Yummy lasagna right out of the casserole dish.
The meal all put together. My presentation isn't as pretty as some, but it sure was good.
I did add some extra seasoning to the lasagna to spice it up. :)
55 min | 10 min prep | SERVES 8
1 1/2 quarts spaghetti sauce (your favorite homemade or jar spaghetti sauce)
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/2 teaspoon oregano
6 cooked lasagna noodles
1 (16 ounce) container ricotta cheese
1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Mix carrots, oregano, and spaghetti sauce together.
2. Mix Ricotta, spinach, and eggs together in separate bowl.
3. Spread ½ cup spaghetti sauce in bottom of 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
4. Layer 3 lasagna noodles, ½ remaining sauce, ½ Ricotta mixture, ½ sliced zucchini, ½ sliced mushrooms, ½ Mozzarella, and ½ Parmesan.
5. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients.
6. Bake in 350 degrees oven for about 45 minutes.
Tater Eggplant Slices
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 medium eggplant peeled & cut into 3/4 slices
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 cup instant mashed potatoes
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Melt butter in the pan.
2. Mix egg, salt, and pepper.
3. Dip eggplant slices into egg mixture and then into potato flakes.
4. Bake for 20 minutes turning halfway.